Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If registration is required or recommended, click the 'Register Now' button to start the process.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
A/BB/B/CC (MH) * 36/27 * Downtown Breakaway
Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 6:00 PM until 8:45 PM
2285 S Street NW
Washington, DC 20008
Registration is required
- Please bring front and rear lights!
- Rear lights on solid mode only (unless riding solo).
- No attacking pacelines or racing tactics (rolling pacelines will be used for the A and BB groups on MacArthur returns).
- Keep it social - this isn't the Greenbelt race series.
- What the designated ride leaders say is what goes!
- Call out all potholes and road hazards.
- Signal your intentions: turning, slowing, stopping.
- Adhere to Velominati rule 43: don't be a jackass.
*** Please make sure to sign the online liability waiver and emergency contact form! There will be no capacity to do this on-site before the ride rolls - thank you! You need only fill out this form ONCE for the entire DTB series! ***
After a 22 month hiatus due to seasons and COVID, the DTB is back!
While we are more-or-less back to a normal pattern with the DTB and its groups, we will continue to practice restraint on parts of the ride - specifically the return on MacArthur Boulevard.
July 28 update:
There is a remote possibility of thunderstorms at ride time. As of 4:55pm on July 28 there is a 35% chance of thunderstorms from the 6pm to 8pm time block. As of this writing the ride is a GO with the proviso that we may need to cut the route short if storms move in during the ride.
(If you want a more realtime assessment of the ride status, please subscribe to its mailing list - instructions below.)
The pace will be a bit more spirited this week for the A and BB groups, though still not back to full speed. The A and BB groups will do rotating pacelines for the return on MacArthur Boulevard. Maximum speeds for the pacelines will be given at the ride start briefing and should NOT be exceeded. For those who don't know how a rotating paceline works, this image sums it up:
Image courtesy of Bicycling Magazine
- The group moving forward keeps the posted maximum speed
- The group moving back is going 2-3 mph slower at most
- Once at the front, don't surge or linger - just peel off to the left once clear of the rider who just pulled off
- Provide guidance at the front and rear: say "clear" when the rider about to peel off can do so safely, and say "last" when you're the last in the ascending line to let the rider following back that they should pull in when safe.
There will be separate A, BB, B, and CC groups this week. The CC group will ride a shorter route than the others.
RWGPS route links:
36 mile route (A/BB/B)
27 mile route (CC)
Post-ride socialization returns as well for those who have lights - this ride always pushes the limits of available daylight.
NOTE: by registering for the Downtown Breakaway you agree to the Waivers of Liability of Potomac Pedalers. To sign an online waiver (and provide required emergency contact info), click here. You need only fill out these forms ONCE for the entire DTB series!
NOTE: this ride is open to both Potomac Pedalers members and non-members. However, if you are a non-member and ride the DTB more than 3 times we ask that you please join the club to help cover our administrative costs and keep the ride going. Thank you!
No go if rain and thunderstorms are bearing down on us, if AQI is bad, or if the heat index is patently unsafe - last minute announcements will be sent via the DTB email list. If you wish to be on the DTB email list, please drop Rudi Riet an email with the subject "Subscribe to DTB List."